Monday, June 1, 2009

Red Astilbe with "Francee" Hosta

 April showers brought May flowers, and May showers brought May flowers. Some of which will last into June. 

Six weeks ago I thought I probably would not be doing much gardening this year, but after physical therapy and the assistance of a cane, I have been able to do more than I expected. Thank heavens, I've spent the last few years focusing on perennials.

We had a lot of rain last week, but much of it was light, even misty, so it did not deter from doing a little weeding. It takes me a lot longer to do something, but at least I'm able to get it done. (I sound like Larry, the Cable Guy!)

I planted this portion of the terraces on the southeast corner of our side yard last year. There are five terraced planters here bordering the steps that lead down to the basement. The upper terraces are shadier, especially this end where I decided to plant this red Astilbe. The white-edged hosta is "Francee" and it is planted in the highest upper terrace.

The little pink flower on the right hand side of the photo is a Cranesbill, or wild geranium. I have both the garden variety and wild ones, and other than the fact that the "tame" ones have a heavier bloom and a habit of mounding, there is very little difference. I lose track of which ones are wild and which ones are tame. 

A pink Astilbe I planted at the same time and is out of sight in this photo is just showing color and is not as healthy looking as this red one. I've tried them in years past, but only the white ones have survived in another area of the yard. They have not opened their tall buds yet.
Posted by Picasa