Friday, June 26, 2009

33rd Anniversary

 
Here we are having crab cakes and soft shell crabs (and Chardonnay) at the best seafood restaurant in Bristol, The Starving Artist at Greene's Seafood.  We're celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary. As I've said at the conclusion of the story I tell about how the Rock and I met, "WAHOO!!!"

We were married in Princess Anne, Maryland, which was not all that far from Ocean City where Rock lived. I lived in Wilmington, DE and we alternated weekends in each city for about eight months. It was 1976. We had a hard time finding a Pastor who would marry us because we were both divorced. Finally, Rock remembered he had an old college buddy who had become a Methodist minister and was currently in Princess Anne. So we called him and he gave us a time for a ceremony on a Saturday afternoon. 

But he still didn't marry us. He was a volunteer for the Coast Guard and was out on a boat, but expected to be back in plenty of time for the ceremony. A retired minister who lived nearby and his wife were to be the witnesses; we had no other attendants. Unfortunately, there was an emergency and the boat did not get in on time, so he evidently radioed the retiree who ended up marrying us.

I wanted to wear something new and special, and shopped all morning. I couldn't find a thing that I liked that looked filmy and seaside, so settled for a tailored pink pantsuit (this was the 70's, remember? I think it was polyester knit). It wasn't until the weekend was over that I realized we had taken no photos! I wanted no reminder of that pink pant suit, but it would have been nice to have had a visual memory.

We had no honeymoon--we were in a resort city anyway, and I was winding things down in Wilmington before I transferred to the southernmost county closest to Ocean City. So we went out to a fancy restaurant that had entertainment following dinner. The Master of Ceremonies was a friend of Rocky's. Then we went to our new home, a house that Rocky was remodeling, and the next 33 years flew past until now we're here and guess what? we still like, and love, each other! 

 
Posted by Picasa