Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A New Project

I met three colleagues today for lunch at The Olive Garden in Johnson City, and we talked about putting together a program for the NSN Heroes project. This involves producing some kind of a fund-raising event to benefit the National Storytelling Network before the end of the year.

My colleagues, all female, are Molly Catron, Linda Poland, and Brenda White Wright, the latter whom I had not met before. We are all storytellers; in addition, Brenda is a motivational speaker, trainer, and diversity consultant; Molly is a keynote speaker and human resources consultant; Linda owns a tour guide business; and I'm a retired clinical social worker. I'm also the oldest of the group, the others being in their 50's and 60's.

We have decided to meet monthly and begin working on our stories according to the "combinatory" theories explained to us by Brenda who learned the concept from David Novak.
I thought I had two stories almost ready to go, but have now changed my mind and have different ideas for two new stories so I must begin writing. Before I do that, however, I will let my unconscious work on them. If that works as it has in the past, one of these mornings soon I will get up in the a.m. and be ready to write. I often do not know the ending, but if I'm lucky it reveals itself as I work through the words. Othertimes, I have to wait for a good ending to work itself out, sometimes after I've told the story a time or two.  

I'm excited about this project.  Stay tuned...