Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Whipped Cream Winter


     Ever wonder what it's like to live inside a marshmallow? Well, we here at Castle  Yonder are finding out--once again. The big snow of the East Coast missed us last weekend, but found us yesterday. Still, we didn't get as much snow as DC, Philly, etc. but measured 8.5 inches accumulated on our deck railings.


     Snow like this used to mean snow play--building snowmen, throwing snowballs, and finding things to slide on. Especially when the grandchildren were visiting, and way long, long ago back to childhood.


     Now, snow means sitting inside looking out--if you're lucky. We are definitely snowbound. Running our 4-wheel drive truck would mean shoveling it out first and getting the ice off it which is not only too labor-intensive for us oldies, but dangerous for us as well. 


      I've pretty much used up all the quickie meals from the grocery store I've had frozen, and am at the point of finding recipes to go with what I'm digging up out of our small chest freezer. BTW, that freezer is over 25 years old. It's never been defrosted and I can see ice build-up at the bottom. Also, I spilled a package of pecans in there so I see nuts scattered through the ice crystals. I hate to think how much energy it's using!


     Fortunately, our dear neighbor, Rudy, called this morning to see if we need anything. I asked if he thought he could get back here with his vehicle, and he said, "I'll walk it in if I have to." Bless his heart!


     So all we really need is a gallon of milk and our mail. I also have 4 letters here he'll pick up and mail for us. Hopefully, by the 17th when I have an eye appointment, we'll be able to get out.