Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Good Day For A Nap

It was overcast but fair when I went out after lunch to run errands. I should have known it would be a day out of the norm when I picked up a surge protector to buy at Office Depot and got a shock! Instead of hanging it up, I guess because it was on sale, the clerk had lain it flat on a metal shelf, just waiting for a human touch! Voila!

I was looking for a purse-sized digital photo displayer. Since my cell phone is the Jitterbug, invented for the elderly and simple-minded, it is not a camera. Now that most of my photos are digital, I would like something like the small photo albums we used to carry to pull out of my purse and say, "Wanna see the latest picture of our Grandaugnter's chihuahua?" 

I had seen one in Target a few days ago, but hadn't read the details. I need something compatible with Mac and hadn't read that it was or wasn't. But the more I thought about it, the better an idea I thought it was, meaning "I want one." Office Depot had one at $19.99 which I thought was $10 too high, and the LCD display was only 1 1/2 in. square, hardly the old 3x5's we used to show off. It even doubled as a keychain, but I was underwhelmed--I don't need another keychain.

So, off to Target I went. I should have known better. Target has way too many things I think I need to stock up on. I didn't like the photo digital display they had any better than Office Depot's. Also, the same price and the same size but it did say it had software imbedded in it and did not mention Mac, so I decided it wasn't compatible. So I bought a bunch of other stuff, all on sale, that I know will come in handy in the future

 In the store, however, I did hear a funny exchange. While I was perusing the items on the shelves, I heard a four-year-old voice (a girl's, somehow I could tell) begging her Mama for something. Mama told her "No," and to hush now. No such luck. I heard Mama say to the child she should settle down and behave now, and maybe something else, a little threat, maybe? And then the count "One...(5 second pause)...Twoooooo....(5 second pause)... and then a very calm 4-year old voice asking perky and powerful, "Are you gonna spank me?" I know who has the power in that family. And sure enough, I finally looked over my shoulder and saw what I presumed to be a family turn the corner of the store, a man, a woman, a teenage girl, and the owner of the 4 year old's voice. The man and the woman each held a hand of the little child's and were swinging her up and over some obstacle in the way. My assessment? Love conquers all, and the four-year-olds know it!

When I came out of Target, a cold mist hit me in the face--a cold front must have gone through. I hurried to get on over to Food City before it got icy, if it were going to. I had a list and stuck to it pretty well, so it didn't take long, and it was a cold slushy rain, not ice, that accompanied me on the way home.

I'd love to lie down right now and take a nap. Our gas log is blazing, my toes are cold inside of slightly wet shoes and sox, and I've got books to read and words coming out my fingers. Our English Springer Spaniel, Abe, can take a nap, but I can't since I have to leave for our Java J's storytelling show at 7:30 p.m.  So I am posting a photo of Abe who is smart enough to be a dog. 

Terry Benz and Leon Overbay are the storytellers tonight. Maybe I'll tell one, too.