Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ambivalent Spring--Chilly and Misty

Witch-hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) I'm posting a picture I took yesterday of one of our witch-hazel shrubs opening its blooms now. This is an unusually well-shaped tree when most that are here are shrubby with branches here, there, and everywhere. They are often lop-sided and leaning sometimes just a straggly bunch of branches. They are plentiful along our little spring-fed creek. I mistook them for willow for a long time, then learned their true name and nature. 

According to Wikipedia, the Witch-hazel (spelled there with the hyphen) has its flowers, fruit, and next year's leaf buds present simultaneously, which is a rarity among trees. Their name comes from the old English "wich" meaning "bendable" and "hazel" which was the name of the twigs used as divining rods. 

The bark and leaves of the witch-hazel are astringent, and their extract is used commercially in lotion for aftershave and treating bruises and insect bites. It also makes up a high percentage of the cream used to treat hemorrhoids. The seeds which ripen about 8 months after its spring bloom contain a large quantity of oil and are edible. When fully ripe, they pop open with such force they jump a few inches away, therefore earning them the common name of "Snapping Hazel." They are also called "Winterbloom."

I'm wondering if the area locals know them as anything else? So many plants have colorful, metaphorical names, I've been wondering about Witch-hazel. Does anyone know? I've also been wondering if this is the bendable wood that is used for making twig furniture. I have a small toy twig chair--maybe I'll have to experiment. Could the branches be used for making baskets? Where is a craftsperson when I need to ask some questions. Let me know if you've got the answers.