Monday, January 10, 2011

And That's The Week That Was Jan.2-9

     There's only one word to describe this past week and that's S N O W ! The week started out with snow; that melted, and then it snowed again the middle of the week. The skies stayed overcast but the sun came out Sunday and the icicles began to drip. When the snow slides off my roof, it startles me because it crashes to the ground with a  loud rumble. On our trips to Alaska, I learned that's called "calving" when the glaciers do break off over a cliff.


     In spite of the melting today, I've still got about 3 inches standing on my deck rails.
And they are predicting more before morning and through Monday, but I'm up late (it's actually Monday morning now) and it hasn't started snowing yet. 




     So, I have stayed indoors all week except for two ventures out. One was to the drugstore to pick up a prescription and the other one was to attend and participate in the Beaver Creek Storytellers "Old Christmas" program. I told the story of "Silent Night" and also a brief history of how Old Christmas came to be an Appalachian tradition. Details about this program can be found on the Beaver Creek Storytellers Blog at http://beavercreekstorytellers.blogspot.com


     I promised myself that I would go outside on weather-friendly days and at least walk, so on Tuesday I went out and shoveled off the family room deck. Not much snow on Tuesday to shovel but plenty of dog piles since my spoiled pets don't like to get their feet cold in the snow so they use wherever they are for a bathroom. That's usually a few feet away from the door. I have no photos of that.


     So the highlight of my week other than the Old Christmas event was making chili. I've not made it much in the past because Rocky didn't care for it. But the cold air made me hungry for it, and it tasted so good I've got only one serving left.


    I don't mind the quiet and the computer keeps me from being mentally inactive and my pets keep me from being physically inactive, but I do hope this coming week is a bit more interesting.