Saturday, January 1, 2011

The 2010 Report


     This is a picture of my sons, Eric on the left and Alan on the right, with me in front of a beautiful Christmas tree in the elegant lobby of the Ritz-Carleton Hotel in Philadelphia. It is one of the last photos I took in 2010. I took a lot in Philly, but I'm sorry to report that I accidentally deleted all but two of them; this is one.


     I have to admit that I am borrowing an idea from my Facebook Friend's blog written by Miriam Nadel reporting on her achievements and progress towards goals in 2010. Well, I didn't set any goals for 2010 so I can't report on their progress or completion, but I can report on some of the categories that Miriam included.


     The most life-changing event I experienced during 2010, of course, was the death of my husband, Rocky. It meant that I had to learn how to live alone and make many decisions about my life that I had always shared with Rocky before.
I am still undergoing that process and will discuss it more when I talk about my goals for 2011.


     I read 16 books during the year, enjoying The Help most in the fiction category. Of the non-fiction my favorite was Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor. I also read a newspaper The New York Review Of Books which I receive every two weeks. You can see the titles of all the books in the side bar of this Blog.


     I also love movies and have watched so many Turner Classic Movies this year that I lost count. So the movies listed in the side bar are not entirely accurate, but by that count I watched 25 movies, 3 of them in theaters. The three were Inception, Reds, and For Colored Girls Who Consider Suicide When Rainbows Are Not Enough, the latter being the most powerful and therefore my favorite.


     I also took the opportunity to see some plays at the Barter Theatre, Blue-Sky Boys, Violet, and The Full Monty. 


     I cut back on storytelling activities this past year, although I did perform four times. One was a children's event at Pumpkin Palooza on Halloween, and at a Sat. night telling at the SW VA Highlands Community College, Graveyard Tales, and Tellabration, the latter three produced by the Beaver Creek Storytellers which I no longer direct. I did do some publicity for that organization, however.


     I attended some storytelling events in which I was a listener, two private parties, one on Summer Solstice eve at Pam Miller's home in Jonesborough, and one honoring Elizabeth Ellis at Linda Poland's home in Tennessee. I was happy to see and hear my old friend, Gay Ducey, at the International Storytelling Center and later in the year attended the Skating On Thin Ice program at the ISC by Kim Weitkamp, Bil Lepp, and Andy Offut Irwin.


     I took five trips during 2010. Two were to Lynchburg, VA which is only 4 hours away. The others were to Indianapolis, Indiana; Taos, New Mexico; and Philadelphia. 


     Now for my goals for 2011. My head is stirring with probabilities, especially about living arrangements for the future. Although I haven't made up my mind when and where, I know a move is coming up. So clearing up projects that are already started should get priority.

  • Finish collecting all of Rocky's memorabilia and biographical information together and preserving it in some fashion.
  • Finish Rocky's book on humor and find a publisher.
  • Get clearance from Barter Theatre's Board of Directors and proceed to publish Rocky's book, Jenny Of The Barter.
  • Clean out garden house and give items away to friends and relatives.
  • Speak to a real estate agent about selling Castle Yonder; make decision.
  • Continue to participate with the Beaver Creek Storytellers.
  • Invite friends to lunch or dinner at least 4 times during year.
  • Produce a workshop on drumming.
  • Exercise by walking outside every weather-friendly day.
  • Finish the crocheted blanket for Stella.
  • Read 20 books.
  • Attend the Virginia Gathering in March.
  • Complete the truck title red tape. 
  • Write my Blog at least once a week; keep the BCS blog and website up to date; 
     Well, I think that will keep me busy enough for the year.  I'll report exactly one year from now. Happy New Year, All