Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jonesborough Storytelling Festival, Day Two


     I managed to get to Jonesborough by noon, time to get a pizza slice and roll on over to the Library tent to hear Kevin Kling tell his stories "Chicken Soup For The Chicken." Kevin had a series of well-crafted tales of his search for courage, adventure, and self-knowledge. He has a wicked sense of humor (meaning it's sharp and on-target) so the audience is highly entertained but each vignette had an inspirational, but not sentimental, ending. I really enjoyed the whole hour and left with great admiration for this teller.


     I moved over to the College Street tent when Kevin finished to hear Andy Offutt Irwin in his program "Maybe He'll Get It Out Of His System." I'm sad to say I listened for half an hour and then left and moved back to the Library tent to hear the last half of Eth-Noh-Tec, "The Stories On Which We Stand." The subject was the story of three generations of a Chinese family in America and I'm happy to say it gave me some ideas about how to present my German-American family.


Saturday's audience waiting for Andy Offutt Irwin


     A few comments about Andy's program. I found it dragged, in spite of the laughs. This is only the second time I've heard Andy; the first time, he portrayed his Southern Aunt Margaret which I really liked and was disappointed this time when he told a nostalgic family story.


Andy Offutt Irwin playing his guitar for a sound check prior to his show.


    I want to add here some second thoughts about the Susie "Mama" Whaples stories I heard yesterday. A friend of mine and I compared notes today and she loved the same program that "Mama" did with which I had found fault. Where I thought it seemed like a comedy routine, my friend said she likes the "fast pace." So, it is all a matter of taste. My friend assured me that she has heard some of "Mama's" stories that she is sure I'd like. 


     I try to make only positive comments to storytellers because most of those who I come into contact with locally are amateurs and get easily discouraged. But I've decided "only" positive feedback can be a disservice to tellers who are already professionals. So I'm planning to be as honest as I can be, especially in the written words of a Blog, and share feedback that includes both the positive and negative with the understanding it is only my opinion as a listener and observer and I am certainly no professional storyteller or expert in any way. 


     I've been waiting many months to hear Jay O'Callahan tell his long story "Forged In The Stars," which he was commissioned to create for the National Space Administration. Somehow I had downloaded a recording of the story over iTunes during the summer. Yesterday I had an opportunity to chat with Jay and he told me that the final version which he was telling today was somewhat different. So I was very much looking forward to his show.


Jay O'Callahan speaks privately to M.C. Beth Horner
     One of the reasons his subject matter excited me so was because my family and I lived in Houston for seven years during the moon landing and early manned space flight. My ex-husband had been an electrical engineer who worked for a NASA subcontractor and his office was on the Space agency's campus in Clear Lake City. Several of our neighbors and many of our friends were involved with some aspect of the space flights. So, even though I had nothing to do with the space work, just being in the same locality and knowing a couple people who had important involvement gave me an emotional investment in NASA. 


Jay O'Callahan waits to be introduced.


     Jay O'Callahan's 80 minute story was amazing! The two main characters provide a love story complete with dramatic tension and an opportunity to combine science and imagination in dialogue including the history of the space flights. Jay's creativity and organized mind has been able to arrange his words in such a way as to totally engage and mesmerize the audience. Providing evidence for this is the fact the audience jumped to its feet at the conclusion and then applauded so long that Jay made three "curtain calls" back onto the stage. I wish you could all have been there.


     Here are a few pictures of people you may recognize, or not since some are just shots of audience members:


                            Connie Reagan Blake waits to M.C.

Charlotte Blake-Alston and Doug Elliott after Charlotte's performance.

Jim May with fan from audience

Friend Millie Sieber from Tennessee Storytelling Association

Paul Conco and Me

Sisters In Story, Norris Spencer, Me, Diana Conco