Saturday, October 9, 2010

Antique Appraisals



     It was necessary for me to have an appraisal done on the antiques here in the house that are to go to my step-son Geoff when I am finished using them. So all summer I have been trying to find a Bristol appraiser and had two leads and neither one worked out. So I called the Ken Farmer appraisal company in Radford, Virginia and on Sept. 20 an associate of Ken's, Bob Miller, came to Castle Yonder and did an appraisal of 12 different items, mostly furniture.

     He did not have the expertise to appraise two musical instruments I have, a Gibson mandolin and a Gibson banjo. So we decided I should bring them to the fundraiser for the Bristol Public Library on Oct. 9, last Thursday, when Ken Farmer would be present who does have the expertise.

 Gibson Mandolin from around 1918 or so.
Gibson 4-string banjo, c. 1920's

     I need to send these photos to Ken Farmer and then he will give me a written appraisal of their value.
He will need to research them more fully in his Musical Guides which he did not have with him.

     I had a good time at the fund raiser. Because the instruments were bulky and awkward, I put them across the hand rails of my new rollater (a walker on wheels) and rolled them in. Jud Barry, the library's Director, carried them out for me and put them into the truck.

     I thought readers might like to see some of the things that were brought in by the public. There seemed to be a lot of art, some original, many prints, and a few engravings. There had been another session during the day so if it was anything like the evening session, some unusual items were appraised.

 A German WWII Uniform with medals and swastikas
 The audience gathers and compares items. Lots of stories!
Ken Farmer examines an old fiddle.

Bob Miller called this 1950's portrait done in oild "iconic American." 

 Bob Miller, a retired history teacher and lifelong collector, explains this original painting is done "en grise" French for "all in grey."

 Bob Miller shows an antique primitive locally made wall cupboard.

 Bob Miller holds a regional face jug. The face is applied in slip on the other side. Ken Farmer comments about its rarity.

Ken Farmer called this "the ugliest cookie jar." C. 1950-s, 1960-s.