Friday, July 23, 2010

A New Friend



     What a boost to an old lady's ego to meet a young seventeen year old who is full of talent and intelligence, make a connection, and then bond.
After 24 hours we were in love! She is Jessica Miller, the granddaughter of my friend, Molly Catron. 


     This all came about because my friend Linda Poland invited me to her home in the country last evening to hear Elizabeth Ellis, Master Storyteller, try out some new stories. About 40 people (maybe 50?) gathered in a half-circle on the lawn under old trees sipping wine and ice tea and listened to Elizabeth tell new stories none of us had ever heard before.


Linda Poland, Hostess                     
             Elizabeth Ellis, Master Storyteller


     Because the night sky grew dark by the time we finished snacking, imbibing more tea (ahem!) and chatting with EE in Linda's house, it was too late for me to drive back to Bristol, so at Molly's invitation, I stayed at her house for the night. Her granddaughter, Jessica, had expressed an interest in hearing Elizabeth, and Molly had brought her along. She was the youngest person there.


     Jessica and I connected during a story break chatting socially, but we really connected on the 45-minute drive to Molly's home when Jessica mentioned she recently joined the high school band playing the snare drums. To keep the conversation going, I mentioned my grandson is touring the U.S. this summer with the International Drum and Bugle Corps. Jessica let out a squeal because she knew all about the drum and bugle corps and has great admiration for the discipline and precision the members must demonstrate. She expressed surprise that someone my age (this was implied, not frankly shared) would know about band life and music.  We talked drums and trumpets all the way to Molly's home.


     Then at the house, Jessica entertained us with some melodies on the electric guitar, many of which she has composed herself. She demonstrated today how she learns a composition "by ear," or as she calls it, her "listening ear." I was amazed at her talent and her passion for music. I am still dumbfounded that I should know two budding musicians with so much talent and potential as Jessica and my grandson, Christopher, and they are the same age, one in Kingsport, TN and one in Lynchburg, VA.  They talk the same language although they've involved with different instruments.


     Today, I visited with Molly. She kept me well fed with a frittata from her fresh eggs and garden tomatoes for breakfast, and a tomato tart with a tomato/cucumber salad for an early dinner before I left to drive home.
We sat on her porch in wicker chairs drinking iced tea to escape the heat, then toured her grounds looking at veggie garden, amazing deep red zinnias and other flowers, her chickens and rooster, greenhouse, and two Great Pyranees dogs, a golden retriever mix, and a Pomeranian Molly inherited from her mother. I saw everything but the goats who were grazing on the other side of a hill. That means I have to go back for another visit!


     But Jessica and I had more opportunity today to listen to her iPod that she connected to a laptop so she could play for me different electric guitar artists who play with major orchestras their versions of classical and jazz compositions. The theme for me was that music can bring the generations together. My experience with this young talented musician gives me optimism for a culturally-enriched future.         Mimi