Saturday, December 12, 2009

"...The goose is getting fat."










"Christmas is coming,
The goose is getting fat.
Please to put a penny
in the old man's hat.
If you don't have a penny,
A ha' penny will do,
If you don't have a ha' penny,
God bless you!"





Here's a poem I learned many many years ago. And it always visits my brain right about this time of year--every year.


I posted it with the photo of our 2009 Christmas tree which probably wouldn't have gotten put up without the help of my niece, Rosalie. She helped me buy it, she and her husband got it wedged into the planter, and started digging out ornaments.


However, after they left I began remembering other ornaments, so went to our storage to dig out more. It took me three days to decorate this little ol' tree and then a couple more to find places for things that came out of the boxes. Way more is in storage than is being put to use and I can't imagine where it will all end up someday. 


I used to justify collecting fragile glass ornaments by saying someday I would give them away as gifts. Am I ready? I need to give that some more thought.


Also, imagine what a ha' penny would buy when today twice that much, a full penny, won't buy anything by itself. Times...they change, but tunes, trinkets, and traditions live on.

MimiRock at Castle Yonder