Tuesday, April 7, 2009

K-Mart Special

In 2004 I saw a picture in a magazine I decided to recreate in a corner planter of my woodland garden. It called for an angel trumpet that I could not find in a local nursery, but while at a K-Mart garden sale, this Cisterna Plum took my eye. And it cost only $5.00 so I decided to try it. It has done beautifully and blooms early with pretty pink and violet-red flowers. Violet red pansies look wonderful under it, but I haven't gotten them planted yet this spring. Soon...actually it's snow flurrying today, but it's predicted after tomorrow to turn warmer for a pretty Easter weekend. In the collage above, the plum is pictured on top left with a lone red tulip on the right. On the bottom left is the first white violet I've seen. White violets seem to like the soil of Castle Yonder and bloom longer and later into the early summer.