Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day 2011


    This is my first Valentine's Day without Rocky. However, Mr. R. wasn't very sentimental about birthdays, let alone Valentine's or Mother's Day. That didn't mean I stopped nagging him, but I finally settled for gently reminding him, and then buying something for myself if he didn't come through, which was often. In our later years, he finally caught on and at least gave me a card, although sometimes they were typewritten notes from his word processor. They were always funny sweet, so I adored getting them.


     I usually gave him something like a funny card or sour ball hard candy.

    Last year was different. Valentine's Day was only one month before Rocky went into the hospital and he was having lots of down days. On Feb. 14, he felt good enough to drive the two miles to the dump where the trash man helped him empty his truck. He didn't come home immediately, but as I found out later, he had driven up to a small country florist a few miles away. He finally brought me six red roses for Valentine's Day which really touched my heart.


    So, it isn't unusual for me to think about my Valentine's gift to myself, especially in the middle of a cold winter. I jumped the gun and bought it last week. A month before, I had admired it at the 606 State Street Gallery where our group told stories. Then I couldn't get it out of my mind, and decided I could afford it for a Valentine this year. Here it is:




    The title is "Watch Out, Little Red." Look carefully and you'll see the shape of a wolf in the background. The artist is Elizabeth Scroggins of Bristol. It speaks to me because I live in the woods, I tell fairytales, and I love the color red. Also, as a widow I need to "watch out" too. After all, Little Red's Granny got swallowed up by the big, bad wolf. (Although somedays I say "Bring him on!) 


     Happy Valentine's Day to you all. And instead of moping around if you don't get a valentine, go buy or make one for yourself! Flowers, candy, costume jewelry, books of poetry are within most budgets. Be kind and love yourself!  


Mimi