Friday, September 24, 2010

Get Out Of The Way; It's Mimi

A new accessory for the Storytelling Festival


     Getting around at festivals has become a real problem for me. For the past 16 months I've had to use a cane because of lumbar pain due to my spinal curvature
that I've had since age 8 and which is worsening at the rate of one degree each year. The neuro-surgeon who I saw recently described me as "the leaning tower of Pisa being supported by a cane."
     In addition, the upper part of my curve is restricting my lungs resulting in shortness of breath when I walk or exert myself in any way.  
     In August when I flew to Indianapolis, I found myself in the Atlanta airport sitting in the boarding area in a wheelchair. I had been pushed and parked there by a porter and chose to remain seated in the wheelchair because most of the available seats had been taken.
     I wanted a snack, but not the pretzels in my pocket. I was thirsty, too. If I had been sitting in one of the seats, I would have had to get up, strap my shoulder purse across my chest, grasp the handle of my wheeled carry-on, and grab my cane with my other hand. Then it would be clunking and pulling breathlessly to the magazine stand 100 yards away, and gasping and feeling my heart fluttering and my lungs trying desperately to get some more oxygen as I chose a candy bar and a bottle of water.
     Instead, the light bulb went off over my head. I stood up, placed my purse and carry-on bag, and Kindle in the seat of the wheel chair, got behind it and pushed all my things across to the magazine stand. It was so easy, like pushing a super-market cart.
Then I realized I push a cart all around the market leisurely every week, and don't feel breathless until I have to lift the groceries into the car.
     That's when I decided the rolling walkers I've seen would be the way I could traverse the unlevel ground of the storytelling tents. I would need a seat in case I had to stand awhile so I could sit down, and I would need a basket to hold the snacks I like to take, my water bottle, the Program, and a cushion for the uncomfortable metal chairs Festival attendees have to sit it.
     On the Internet I discovered these rolling walkers are called "rollaters." I located one in a medical equipment store in Bristol, bright red it is, and I picked it up yesterday. Now I'm looking for a bicycle bell and I'll be all set for Jonesborough next week. See you at the Festival--ching, ching.
Mimi