Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Getting Used To the Changes

     I went out only once last week, and that was to the Medical Center to have a SSEP test ordered by the Neuro-orthopedist who I haven't actually met yet. I guess he wants to see my bones and nervous system on the inside of my skin before he sees me face to face.


     I had never heard of such a test before or know anyone who has had one. So I didn't know what to expect. The only instructions before hand were to wash my hair the night before, not to use any gels or sprays on it until after the test, not to drink any caffeine, and bring a driver. The last instruction made me speculate that I would be sedated. 


     Not so. The Tech said that I wouldn't have needed a driver and she didn't know why they keep telling people that! But my good friend, Molly, had picked me up and driven me and now during this 2-hour test, she was out running errands, including dropping my new Miele vacuum cleaner off at the repair shop.
(Somehow the handle broke ending up with a huge crack in its seams.)


     I asked why the test would take so long. The Tech said the length varies with the person. It is an "averaging test" she said, and only one area can be tested at a time until there's enough data gathered to figure an average. Then the Tech can move on to another area. There were four areas to test with the elctrodes they pasted to my left ankle, right ankle, left forearm, and right forearm. However, they pasted lots more electrodes around my body, to my legs, arms, back, neck, chest, and head; in fact, several to my head.


     What is this testing, I asked, what are they trying to find out? The answer was that they want info about whether the spinal cord is doing its job of being the central dispatcher of the nervous system. The question has arisen because I have an extreme case of scoliosis, curvature of the spine, and doctors are speculating that my spine is pressing against my lungs which is causing me severe shortness of breath. 


     The four "special" electrodes are stimulated with heat that then travels on down the nerve to the extremities. Because I have been retaining some fluid recently that collects around my ankles, it took longer for the heat to work its way through the "water." But overall, the test took only a little more than 90 minutes. Having heat slowly move through your nerves was not comfortable, but it wasn't unbearable. Just tedious--I almost fell asleep a couple times. Which was good because it meant I was relaxed.


     I don't have the results yet and may not have them until I finally see Dr. Lorio on August 12. I've seen his Nurse Practitioner, but not the doctor, the "spine man." I've already had the MRI that was ordered. I asked how long the spine man would give me to discuss my case, and was told, "15 minutes." 


     "What?!" I cried, "he's going to tell me my diagnosis, and discuss my options and relevant treatment plans, all in 15 minutes?" He can do it, I was told, because he'll have reviewed my chart (oh, yeah!) and looked at my test results.
Even though he's a surgeon and I willingly am going to see him, I am NOT having surgery on my spine. I don't care how talented he is and how state-of-the-art his techniques are, I'm NOT having spinal surgery. Not at my age. Unh, unh.


     So, I'll keep you posted. I'm calling every week to see if he's had any cancellations so I can move that appointment closer if possible.


     But that was the only reason I went out last week. Sunday, I did drive over to Abingdon to see my best friend's newly remodeled kitchen. We visited and drank tea for an hour or so and laid some plans for the holidays of the summer.
My only vacation plans are for a trip to Indianapolis in mid-August to attend my grandson's Drum and Bugle Corps contest finals. And, excitedly I tell you, my Abingdon friend and I are researching some plans to go to Taos, New Mexico over Labor Day. That will be a real adventure and I hope it comes to pass.