Friday, September 11, 2009

Upside Down Tomato


Finally! They ripened! We had so much rain this summer and overcast days, they took way longer than usual. This is a "Patio" tomato, a determinate type. That means they have one harvest and then they're done. I picked five today and several more are partially ripe. We had tomato sandwiches for lunch and should have enough for salad this evening. My handy-man says they are "puny," but that's the way they're supposed to be since they are meant to be grown in a container. The canvas "bag" and frame came from the Garden Supply catalog, and can be washed out and saved for next year. Of course, new soil and fertilizer strips will have to be purchased fresh. I probably could have bought
tomatoes for several years for what I paid for this upside-down setup, but you can't buy fun! (BTW, I understand the cheaper ones you can buy from the big box stores fall down easily and cannot be kept from year to year, so I've heard.)

MimiRock at Castle Yonder
Posted by Picasa